One word sums up your experience on a BMX bike with handlebars that aren’t the right size: pain. This is true for shorter and taller people than the other people on the train. Using handlebars that aren’t the right size not only hurts your comfort but also makes it hard for you to control your bike. To make sure you’re comfortable and safe on your next trip, you need to measure the width and height of your clothes. A third measurement, tube diameter, is still the same for BMX bikes. This doesn’t need to be done because BMX bikes have a standard tube diameter of 22.2 mm. Here we will explain how to measure BMX handlebars.
- Tape measure
- 36-Inch straightedge
- Flathead screwdriver
- Penetrating oil
The procedure of how to measure BMX handlebars
- Turn the screws that connect the brake clamps to the handlebar to slowly loosen the two handbrakes, then let go of them. It would be best to use a flathead screwdriver to turn this in the opposite direction. After this, slide the brakes off of the grips on the handlebar. Do this next.
- Make sure the tip of your screwdriver goes between the flared part of the grip facing the handlebar tube and the brake that isn’t locked. Spray the penetrating oil into the gap made by the screwdriver and into the holes made. Remove the screwdriver and twist the grip by pulling it straight from the middle of the handlebars. Remove the second grip in the same way.
- The end of the tape measure should be on one side of the handlebar. Then, pull the tape measure to measure the other side of the handlebar. How wide your handlebar will be will depend on how far apart it is from the ground.
- When you remove handlebars, make sure that the top of the straightedge is level with the ends of the open handlebars left after you did this. Each end of the tube should have a straight edge that meets the middle.
- You can hold one end of the tape measure right in the middle of the bar that clamps into the bike’s stem. This part connects the handlebars to the bike or the “stem.” Pull the tape measure up and across the straightedge, then stop. Measure where the tape measure meets the upper part of the straightedge. Record that as the actual rise of the handlebars, and write it down.
- Measure the length of the handlebar grip tube with the tape measure. I think it should be at least 7/8 inch or 22.2mm. That’s what the standard measurement is.
BMX Handlebar Geometry Explanation Video
What is the correct width of BMX handlebars?
The handlebar’s width is how far one end of the handlebar is from the other. 28-30 inches is the width of BMX handlebars used today. However, the handlebar’s width is different for each person who uses it. If it’s too big, you can cut it down to fit your needs. However, it would help if you were careful because you can only remove it and get it back. If you don’t know how to do it, you should ask an expert or take the bike to a bike shop.
How are BMX handlebars measured?
Make sure the end of the tape measure is right in the middle of your BMX bike’s bottom bar, which is what holds the handlebars to your bike. This is called the bike stem. Pull the tape measure up and over the straightedge a little bit. This is the genuine rise of your handlebars.
How do I know what size my handlebars are?
When you wrap the Oi around the bar where you want to attach it, you get the circumference. Then, divide by pi (…. mmm) to get the diameter, like 99.9mm / = 31.8mm. There is no tape, so use a piece of paper (or string).
What size BMX handlebars do I need?
You usually want your bars to be about the width of your shoulders, so 28′′ is about right for most people. Bigger riders can use the 30′′, but most people don’t need it. People have different ideas about how wide things should be.
What size are BMX stems?
The 50mm Reach and Rise.
You can make your bike feel longer by making it a little farther from where you hold the handlebars. Reach on most stems is about 50mm. Shorter stems reach 48mm and longer ones 58mm. This is an essential thing to think about because it is so important to choose the right length frame.
What diameter are BMX bars?
This would be the tubing diameter where the knurling is on the handlebars. Most BMX handlebars are made with a 22.2mm diameter, which is what the handlebars are made of.
Can I put BMX handlebars on a mountain bike?
It’s possible to put BMX handlebars on a mountain bike, but the new bars will change their original geometry and make it less stable.
Do BMX stems fit MTB?
It’s only possible to use a BMX stem on an MTB if the handlebars have a 22.2mm clamp area. 22.2mm MTB bars are made of steel and are created heavier than regular MTB bars. On average, the stems for BMX bikes are more severe than those for bikes that go on the trail.
Before buying BMX handlebars, you should make sure that you have chosen the correct size by knowing the correct method of how to measure BMX handlebars. However, you might have to cut them down if they are too big. When you think about this, the first thing you should think about is your size. An excellent way to do this is to put the bars at an angle that is good for your posture and helps you control the BMX better. It would help if you chose a handlebar that is the right height and width for you to use. After measuring the bar, make sure that all the bolts that go with it are tightened again. Otherwise, your set-up could shift, and your handlebars could slip.